Tuesday, August 16, 2011

will I ever stop sweating??

I took the streetcar down to the french quarter this morning for breakfast at Stanley with my cousin from Boston & then a personally guided tour.  Breakfast hit the spot, we both had the "eggs Stanley", like eggs benedict, but throw some cornmeal fried oysters on top.  Since Stanley is right in Jackson Square, we were in the perfect location after breakfast to start my french quarter tour.  I took my cousin through the 1850 House first & then we walked my usual tour route.  I had my sun hat, water soaked bandana tied around my neck, large bottle of ice water, but I was still MISERABLE!!  We were both dripping with sweat the entire time & I'm sure we smelled fantastic.  Other than the unbearable heat, the tour went well.  My cousin (soon to be a senior at Wellslyan) is into history, he's visited nola tons of times b/c his dad is from here, but he'd never learned anything about nola history.  So, I was glad to share it with him & it was another good practice run for me.

When I got home, I had a message on my answering machine, it was from FOC's special events manager.  He wanted to know if I'd like to do a special tour in early September for a group of Tulane students that focused on fun stuff in nola that doesn't involve drinking alcohol.  Now, I realize that to all New Orleanians (including myself), this is a totally foreign & unappealing concept.  But, I think I can accommodate the group, I just have to think really hard.  From what I understand, this is a Christian group of students that wants to promote socializing sans alcohol.  Let's hope this heathen jew can point them in the right direction!  The tour will only be a little over an hour in the evening, that's one hitch, I could show them a lot more alcohol-free fun when museums are open.  They want to complete the tour at Cafe Dumonde & have beignets after, so I can't hit that during the tour.  If any locals have ideas, please pass them on...I'm stumped!  I figure I'll still talk about & point out museums, etc., & recommend that they check them out during the day.  However, what does one do in the quarter at night, besides eating beignets, that doesn't include alcohol??  I'm thinking a stroll on the Moonwalk with a view of the Crescent City Connection, voodoo stuff(?), & maybe still a walk down Bourbon St. since it's a site to see??  They're going to Preservation Hall after Cafe Dumonde, so that's off the list of stops on the tour, too.  I've got a month to think about it, I'll figure something out. 

About to head to Mother's for dinner with my dad & cousin, it's my cousin's last supper in the Big Easy...we wanna do it right!  I'm thinking crawfish etouffee...mmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment