Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm cleared for take off!

Well, I've finally successfully completed my "critique tour" for FOC & it feels good!  The critique tour is a regular tour with real guests, but since I'm new, a veteran tour guide shadows me to make sure I'm up to FOC's standards.  I only had 2 guests on my tour today, a father & daughter, they were great!  Having only 2 guests on a 2 hour walking tour is actually ideal; you can cater it to the the guests more instead of worrying about appeasing a larger group.  It's easier to answer questions & you can usually cover more territory & talking points b/c you can walk & talk.  One of my FOC tour guide instructors & a current tour guide lives in the quarter on Chartres & Dumaine in the slave quarters of a larger building.  Whenever he's home, he welcomes all the FOC tour groups into his courtyard for a few minutes so they can get a look at the real thing behind the big brick walls.  Of course, all the tour guests loves this special little treat, & fortunately, Ron was home today & let us stop by since I take my tour down Dumaine St.  I finished my tour in exactly 2 hours...this is a big deal, b/c I can talk & talk, & the time can slip away from you pretty quickly.  We had time to unwind for a few minutes back in jackson square & I got a picture with my tour guests.  This is a tradition that I've officially started with today's tour, but I want to continue throughout my tour guide career.  I've posted the photo on my tour guide facebook page:  www.facebook.com/nola.leah

So, I guess I'm up to FOC's standards & am finally ready to be put on the regular monthly french quarter tour schedule.  I'll keep y'all posted once I find out my regular tour dates. I'll do at least one french quarter walking tour a month for FOC, but I also want to be a docent at the 1850 House, so I hope to do that at least once a month, too.  Now, I just need a bit more tour practice under my belt, then I can type up my official tour guide resume (guess I really could/should go ahead & get that started) & get some commercial tour gigs...then finally begin making a little cash!!  Guiding a fun tour + cash = a great occupation equation!

BTW, I also spent a hot & sweaty 2 hours doing a final practice tour in the quarter with my friend & tour guide mentor yesterday.  It really helped to get my timing straight & review a few talking points.  Thanks, Ron...I owe you!! 

Looks like a good a week ahead...my tour guide continuing ed group is headed to NOMA & the Besthoff Sculpture Garden on Wednesday (that's the museum's free day).  We may also check out the Basin St. Station on Thursday.  Then, I'll be tagging along on a friend's tour of St. Louis #1 cemetery on Friday morning.

So, I'll have plenty of nola adventures to report on in the coming days... 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you remembered to get photos to add to your web site on your very first official tour, but the link to that page doesn't work. Do you need to add the "http://"?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. fixed the facebook link, thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete