Wednesday, November 2, 2011

a future of food & tours.


Wow, I just reread my last post, “back to the blog”…sorry for the never-ending laundry list.  It’s like if I didn’t list it out for myself, it didn’t all really happen.  Anyway, now it’s all documented, so I can stop fretting about it.

The shoot for the 1 min NOTV spot on the Cabildo yesterday was a success!  I did get a bit nervous as I got “miked up”, but I shook it off & pushed through.  We filmed my spiel in the Cabildo’s Hall of Flags on the 2nd floor, it’s an amazing space w/tons of windows.  Yesterday was gorgeous, so we had great sun & blue skies peaking through the windows & all the old territory flags.  Sadly, the TV spot won’t air until January 2012, but I’ll post a link as soon as it’s available (as long as I don’t think I look/sound totally ridiculous).

I stayed down in the quarter for the rest of the afternoon after we completed the filming at the Cabildo.  I wasn’t too impressed with the Halloween costumes that I saw…most people really just phoned it in w/store bought cliché get-ups (witches, goblins, the Scream guy)…boring!  I waited until the evening to put my “Miss Cabildo” costume back on.  I met up at a friend’s great old creole cottage in the Treme with a bunch of friends that I always masquerade with.  We got into costume, had a few drinks, took some pictures & then walked down to Frenchman St. in the Marigny…it’s the hot spot on Halloween, Mardi Gras, & New Year’s Eve.  I finally saw some more impressive costumes down there, but I was so NOT in the mood for a crowd, so I didn’t last long. 

On more exciting fronts, I got an email from a fellow volunteer FOC tour guide today asking if I wanted her to pass on my contact into to New Orleans Culinary History Tours b/c they need more guides for their French Quarter culinary tours & a new cocktails tour (which is not yet listed on their website it’s so new).  I’d already talked to her about wanting to do these tours & asked if they needed additional guides, but she didn’t think that they were looking for anyone else a few weeks ago.  So, I was like a giddy schoolgirl after reading that email, I can’t wait to get trained & start guiding these tours!  They’re supposed to be excellent, you hit Antoine’s & Tujaques (the two oldest restaurants in the city), & much more…plus, you get to actually eat the food at each stop!  This new prospect is in addition to my friend’s new culinary tour for Tastebud Tours, I’m going on the practice run for that tour this Thursday.   

Looks like my future is filled with food & tours…I can’t complain.

1 comment: