Saturday, June 2, 2012

when one comes to New Orleans, one drinks.


As a native New Orleanian, I started drinking alcohol relatively young.  At 12 years old, I enjoyed my first drink, well multiple drinks, at the end of summer JCC camp staff party (w/my mother’s blessing b/c I was under the supervision of my boss & not driving).  Of course, back then, it was just wine coolers & jello shots.  By high school, I’d moved onto the party punch, ya know that fruit punch in an ice chest with a good dose of Everclear & inevitably some grass & dirt.  It was disgustingly sweet & could knock you on your ass.  But, back then, I was NOT a beer drinker, so the party punch was my only option at keggers.  Although I found that punch too sweet, I do have to admit that I liked rather sweet cocktails in my early drinking days, my favorites were White Russians, Fuzzy Navels & Melonballs.  During my college years, my taste for alcohol had matured.  I finally gave beer a try, Abita of course & a lot of fancy foreign beers.  However, when I do drink beers these days, my favorite is the Champagne of beers, Miller High Life, simply light & refreshing.  Now, I’m a proud wino, although, I do enjoy a cocktail, too (gin is my liquor of choice & I can never resist a very dirty gin martini).  For years now, my Cheers (the place where everyone knows my name & they’re always glad I came) has been the Delachaise on St. Charles Ave., my favorite watering hole in town & a great wine bar. 

Anyway, I could go on & on about my drinking history & current passion for alcohol, but let’s move on to the topic at had.  Last week, on Memorial Day, I guided my first drinks tour for a friend & a group of her girlfriends visiting from out of town.  Since this was a private tour, I created it on my own & gave my tour guests a few options for different bar & cocktail stops in the French Quarter.  Even with my voice going midway through, I have to say, the tour was a great success! 

We began at the Napoleon House, for a Pimm’s Cup.  Although the Pimm’s Cup is an English cocktail, it’s become very popular in New Orleans over the years.  When locals are in the mood for this refreshing cocktail, they go to the place that’s famous for it, the Napoleon House.  The space was built in the late 18th century & was the home of Mayor Girod.  Despite what those damn buggie drivers in the Quarter will tell you, Napoleon NEVER lived there.  When Napoleon had been exiled to St. Helena, some New Orleanians, including the mayor & the pirate Jean Lafitte, hatched a plan to rescue Napoleon & bring him to New Orleans.  The Mayor added another level to his home which was intended as Napoleon’s New Orleans residence.  Hence the name, Napoleon House.  It’s a great old historical building with a beautiful little courtyard.  After passing our tour guide license exam last year, me & my tour guide friends went there for celebratory Pimm’s Cups.  So, I think that the Napoleon House was the perfect place to begin my personal drinks tour.

After finishing off that slice of cucumber, my favorite part of the Pimm’s Cup, we walked deep into the quarter to our 2nd stop, Jean Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop Bar for a Hurricane, a strong cocktail, but a classic New Orleans drink.  Although the Hurricane was created at Pat O’Brien’s, they now use a mix to make the drink, whereas Lafitte’s still uses fresh fruit juices, so all locals will tell you that Lafitte’s is the better Hurricane (even without the signature glass, resembling a hurricane lamp & inspiring the name of the cocktail).   Lafitte’s is one of the oldest buildings in the city & said to be the oldest operating bar in the country (but who knows if that stat is accurate).  I warned my tour guests that the drink has an extra shot of clear rum on top of the fruit juice.  When you drink the Hurricane with a straw, that final shot of rum really sneaks up on you, & if you’re not already buzzed, you will be after the last sip.  My suggestion was to stir up the drink with that straw so that the rum blends more with the fruit juice, not that the cocktail won’t still get you thoroughly sauced. 

Thanks to the fact that New Orleans has no open container law, we took those Hurricanes to go & started our walk back upriver to a bit classier establishment.  We made our way to Antoine’s Hermes Bar, one of my French Quarter favorites.  It has a separate entrance from the restaurant & you don’t have to be all gussied up to go in there.  Now, I don’t have any particular favorite cocktail at the Hermes Bar, I simply suggested a few options, such as the Sidecar.  However, it was happy hour, so we all went for the $4 glasses of bubbly.  I was planning on getting the gals a snack at this point since they’d just sucked back those Hurricanes & the bar has a nice little tasting menu from the restaurant.  Sadly, as it was Memorial Day, the kitchen was closed.  While at Antoine’s, I did take the opportunity to tell the group about New Orleans carnival krewe traditions since the restaurant has dining rooms named for the 4 oldest carnival krewes in town.  There’s plenty of photos & old paraphernalia in each dining room (I’ve had the good fortune of seeing each one during the New Orleans Culinary History Tours), but there are also displays in the bar.  Carnival traditions are an intriguing subject to out-of-towners, there’s nothing like them anywhere else. 

We all enjoyed our bubbly & were ready to take on the next drink.  So, on to the Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone for Ramoz Gin Fizzes.  This bar literally revolves!!  One of the gals in my group asked me how long it took for the bar to complete one revolution, I didn’t know…so, I timed it.  Turns out it takes just 10 minutes for the Carousel Bar to make one complete revolution, there’s a bit of trivia that I’m sure you’re glad you can now tuck away into the recesses of your brain.  When sitting at the bar, you hardly notice that it’s moving, unless you look behind you & see your surroundings changing, which made me a bit dizzy.  As I tried to shake of the dizzy spell, it was time for my Ramoz Gin Fizz…a cocktail that I’d never had the pleasure of trying before! Wow, it’s like dessert in a glass, frothy, a bit sweet, & rather filling.  I enjoyed it immensely, as did the rest of my tour group.  Fortunately, the Carousel Bar also supplies endless bowls of complementary snack mix, we scarfed down at least 6 bowls easily!  While sipping our Gin Fizzes, I told the group that this bar had once been a regular watering whole for some of America’s great literary figures, Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Truman Capote, & even Hemingway frequented the Carousel Bar.  They all lived just blocks away in the French Quarter, so they often gathered there for drinks, & I would imagine, rather interesting conversations. 

After our carousel ride, I had one more bar planned to finish off the tour, another favorite of mine in the Quarter.  We made our way to Arnaud’s French 75 Bar for, what else but French 75’s, of course.  It’s another restaurant bar that has a separate bar entrance & very classy décor.  We walked all the way there & found the lights off & the doors locked…c’est domage!!  I was so disappointed, not only had I planned to have a cocktail, I was going to insist that we enjoy the scrumptious soufflé potatoes with béarnaise sauce.  I was so embarrassed that I’d brought the group all the way over there only to find it closed. 

Even though my final bar stop at French 75 was a failure, we had already spent 4 whole hours wandering the quarter & partaking of tasty libations.  After all that schlepping & drinking, it was time for me to say good-bye.  The girls had a reservation at Bayona for dinner an hour later (incidentally, one in my personal top 5 nola restaurants list), so I recommended that they kill the time with a visit to the Sazerac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel for the famous Sazerac cocktail.  If you don’t like licorice, you won’t care for this cocktail which always has either Herbsaint or Absinthe.  But, it was the very first cocktail, so if you’re feeling adventurous & you’ve never had one before, the Sazerac Bar is the right place to give one a try.

The next day I heard that they did make it to the Sazerac Bar to have their signature cocktail & then had an amazing meal at Bayona.  What a perfect way to end a Memorial Day weekend in the Crescent City. 

Perhaps I shouldn’t have revealed all the brilliant secrets of my drinks tour, but if you’ve been following my blog, you know that I can’t resist sharing every little detail when I tell a story.  I now have a great drinks tour in my repertoire, which is an essential one to have ready as a tour guide in the Big Easy.  Now, I need to focus on preparations for my first solo New Orleans Culinary History Tour in just a week.  I’m both excited & nervous, just as I have been for the first of each of my other tours.  Once I get a few under my belt, I’m sure that I’ll be cruising right along. 

Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment